Today, we will brief you about Samsung & Google’s threat & vulnerability fixes. These are known as Google’s patches in the form of monthly updates or their respected timelines.
Also known as Android Security Bulletin – This time, it’s the July 2022 package. These patches are called CVEs.
This time they include;
Samsung disclosed three critical, 20 High, 0 moderate & 2 Already included in previous updates, also 6 Not applicable to Samsung devices, level CVEs.
These are called CVE Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures to identify, define, and catalog publicly disclosed cyber security vulnerabilities.
The Android Security Bulletin contains detailed information about security vulnerabilities affecting Android devices.
Android partners are notified of all issues at least one month before release.
Source code fixes for these issues will be posted to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) & modified with AOSP links as they become available. AOSP-Android Open Source Project.
- Critical security is the most serious related to a system component.
- The severity rating is based on a vulnerability exploit’s effect on an influenced device.
- These features reduce the possibility that security vulnerabilities can be successfully exploited on Android.
- Exploiting many issues on Android is made more difficult by improvements in newer versions of the Android platform.
- The Android security team actively monitors for abuse through Google Play Protect and warns users about potentially dangerous apps.
- Google Play Protect is enabled by default on devices with Google Mobile Services and is especially important for users who install apps outside of Google Play.
Vulnerabilities are grouped according to the component they affect. The issues are described in the table below and include the CVE ID, associated references, vulnerability type, severity, and updated AOSP versions (if applicable).
Devices running Android 10 or later can receive security updates as well as Google Play system updates.
Samsung & Google Bundled Patches:
Both Samsung & Google all users to update to the latest Android version whenever possible.
Users can also check for the latest software update by navigating to Settings » Software update and tapping on Download and install or turning auto-updates or notifications on in the settings of your device.
For further nuanced technical details, refer to the links below.
Sources & References: