The ISOCELL Vizion 63D and the ISOCELL Vizion 931, two innovative sensors from Samsung Electronics that further advance machine vision for a range of applications, have set a new standard in image technology. These sensors are predicted to greatly augment the capabilities of robots, extended reality (XR) systems, and sophisticated security features. Currently, OEMs worldwide are receiving samples of the Samsung ISOCELL Vizion 63D and ISOCELL Vizion 931 sensors.
Samsung Sees Into the Future with New AR/VR and Phone Camera Sensors
ISOCELL Vizion 63D:
- The ISOCELL Vizion 63D from Samsung is a type of indirect ToF (iToF) sensor that senses its environment in three dimensions by measuring the phase shift between emitted and reflected light.
- The Vizion 63D offers remarkable precision and sharpness, making it perfect for use in high-resolution and accurate depth measurement applications.
- It is the first iToF sensor on the market with an integrated depth-sensing hardware image signal processor (ISP).
- It can accurately record 3D depth information without the assistance of a second chip because of its novel one-chip architecture, which allows for a 40% decrease in system power consumption over the previous ISOCELL Vizion 33D product.
- The sensor can process pictures at up to 60 frames per second at QVGA resolution (320 x 240).
- With the lowest 3.5㎛ pixel size in iToF sensors on the market, the ISOCELL Vizion 63D satisfies high Video Graphics Array (VGA) resolution (640×480) in a 1/6.4” optical format.
- At an infrared light wavelength of 940 nm, the Vizion 63D sensor achieves the greatest degree of quantum efficiency in the market, reaching 38% through backside scattering technology (BST).
- BST improves light absorption.
- The ISOCELL Vizion 63D greatly increases its measurable distance range from five meters to ten by supporting both high-resolution short-range and long-range illumination modes.
ISOCELL Vizion 931:
- Capturing fast motions without the “jelly effect” is the specialty of the ISOCELL Vizion 931 global shutter image sensor.
- For motion-tracking in XR gadgets, gaming systems, service and logistics robots, as well as drones, this enables the ISOCELL Vizion 931 to record crisp, undistorted pictures of moving objects.
- The ISOCELL Vizion 931 is ideal for iris identification, eye tracking, as well as face and gesture detection in applications where less space is available because of its one-to-one ratio VGA resolution (640 x 640).
- With an astounding 60% quantum efficiency at the 850 nm infrared light wavelength, the ISOCELL Vizion 931 also reaches the highest level in the industry.
- Combining the BST technique from the ISOCELL Vizion 63D with Front Deep Trench Isolation (FDTI), which adds an insulating layer between pixels to maximize light absorption,.
- The Vizion 931’s multi-drop capability allows for easy connection of four cameras to the application processor using just one cable.
- The sensor offers more design options to device manufacturers since it requires less wire.
Haechang Lee, Executive Vice President of the Next Generation Sensor Development Team at Samsung Electronics, said, “Engineered with state-of-the-art sensor technologies, Samsung’s ISOCELL Vizion 63D and ISOCELL Vizion 931 will be essential in facilitating machine vision for future high-tech applications like robotics and extended reality (XR). Leveraging our rich history in technological innovation, we are committed to driving the rapidly expanding image sensor market forward.”
Passionate about technology at the service of digital entertainment that can be used through any platform. Music, movies and video games have always taken up a good part of his free time, but he doesn’t give up outdoor activities, from simple walks to cycling and skiing. He has been producing editorial content for SamLover since 2022 and has run a computer and telephony store for 3 decades.