Samsung Electronics recently surprised the market with its ISOCELL HP3 image sensor, which has 200 million pixels of 0.56 micrometers (μm), 12% smaller than its predecessor last month.
However, today Samsung has revealed even better information about the sensor, which will be important for tech enthusiasts and casual readers looking to stay up to date.
Rest assured that we won’t bore you with minor technical details but will cover the base for both. Although mind that, there is HP3 directly in the series after the first one.
Samsung is currently one of the leading companies in image sensor technology; With the announcement of mass production of the ISOCELL HP3 ultra-high-resolution image sensor, the company commercialized the development of a 200-megapixel ultra-small pixel mobile image sensor.
Improvements Over Predecessors :
According to Samsung, the ISOCELL HP3 is an image sensor containing 200 million pixels of 0.56μm, the smallest in the industry, in the 1/1.4″ optical format.
- Samsung has managed to create physical walls between thinner and deeper pixels using its proprietary technology called Full Depth deep trench isolation (DTI).
- To solve the problem of poor image quality in low-light environments, Samsung has used improved pixel technology to ensure high-quality images.
- Samsung has succeeded in creating ultra-small devices that capture high-definition images using its innovative image sensor technology.
“We used an enhanced version of Samsung’s proprietary Tetra2pixel technology, which combines four or sixteen adjacent pixels to act as a single large pixel in low-light environments.”
Current Capabilities :
According to Samsung, The ISOCELL image sensor is expected to bring optimal and enhanced user experiences. Following are its capabilities :
- The ISOCELL HP3 has a 12 percent smaller pixel size than the predecessor’s 0.64μm, with 200 million pixels in a 1/1.4″ optical format. Resulting in an approximately 20 percent reduction in camera module surface area, giving the device manufacturers more space and keeping the device slim.
- Improved & Even Quicker Autofocus.
- Movie-like Recordings.
- Low Light Photography.
- HDR capabilities.
All in all, this phone has improved autofocus and its ability to record high-quality videos and photos in low light. It also has a super-fast autofocus system that can detect phase differences in the horizontal and vertical directions. HDR capability; The improved Smart-ISO Pro feature allows you to set three ISO modes: low, medium, and high.
We have seen Motorola use HP1 before; Xiaomi is also expected to use ISOCELL HP3 in an unannounced flagship in 2022, as well as Samsung’s next flagship, the Galaxy S23.
“I am very proud of the fact that we are setting the trend in the image sensor market, and I am confident that we will continue to be at the forefront of micropixel technology,”