Despite Samsung’s decision to offer users a glimpse of what’s to come with their future folding smartphones and next-generation tablets, such as the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5, Galaxy Z Flip5, and the Galaxy Tab S9, it is not yet time to experience the One UI 6 based on Android 14 on Samsung Galaxy devices.
Instead, the company has released a special custom version of One UI, namely One UI 5.1.1 beta, initially available on devices like the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 and the Galaxy Tab S8 series. Other compatible models are expected to follow soon. Let’s explore the introduced innovations and potential device compatibility together.
One UI 5.1.1: What’s New
Samsung has chosen to provide users with a sneak peek of the upcoming version of their proprietary interface, which will accompany the brand’s future devices. This allows users to get an early glimpse of the features and enhancements that will be included in the new release. It’s important to note that the following information may only encompass some of the changes that will be present in the stable version of One UI 5.1.1, as the company may choose to keep certain functionalities under wraps as a surprise.
Improved app preview on the Recent Apps screen
- You can preview the running status of an app, such as split screen, full screen, or pop-up, on the Recent Apps screen
Direct switch from pop-up screen to split screen
- You can easily switch to the split screen by holding down the handle at the top of the pop-up window and dragging it to the desired side.
Move the pop-up to the side and turn it back on easily
- Move the pop-up screen to the side for a while and bring it back easily when you need it. You can drag the pop-up screen sideways to move it out of view, then tap it again to return it to its original location.
Control minimized apps with the S Pen
- When you move the S Pen to the icon of a minimized app, a preview appears so you can see how the app will look when it starts up.
Show the latest apps on the taskbar
- You can view up to 4 recently used apps on the taskbar.
Adjust the taskbar area according to the number of icons
- If you see 7 or fewer icons on the taskbar, the taskbar area is automatically adjusted to make it easier to select the Home button, recent apps button, and the Back button at the bottom of the screen.
Other apps in the Flex mode panel
- You can now use Flex Mode Panel in a variety of apps that support multi-window screens. Activate the Flex Mode panel option, fold your phone, and press the button that appears on the navigation bar.
Simplify media control
- In the flexible mode panel, you’ll see buttons to jump forward or backward 10 seconds, and, by pressing the time bar, the point where you’re holding it will be timed to take you exactly where you want.
Customize the toolbar
- Customize the Flex Mode panel toolbar as you like and easily perform various functions such as split screen display and screen capture. You can add, remove, reorder, or move an icon by pressing it for a long time.
Share with contacts, even the distant ones
- You can always share files with your contacts, even if the person you want to share them with is not nearby.
Share important content more securely
- Protect shared content more securely. You can set an expiration date on a shared file or cancel the share whenever you want. You can also prevent others from saving or sharing files.
Improving the content and design of sleep coaching
- We’ve improved the content and design of sleep coaching so you can see your progress at a glance and improve your sleep habits more easily. (Galaxy Watch4 or higher)
Make your sleep data more meaningful
- We’ve improved the screen design and added explanations to make it easier to see and better understand the various sleep score factors. (Galaxy Watch4 or later)
Measurement of skin temperature during sleep
- Create a more comfortable sleeping environment by measuring how your skin’s temperature changes during sleep. (Galaxy Watch5 or higher)
Key training metrics at once
- The summary information screen has been improved so you can check the main training data right after the end of the exercise right away.
- New badges, congratulatory messages, various records, and more. Stay motivated and manage your precious health more consistently with improved Samsung Health.
Camera and Gallery
- You can change the date and time notation of the watermark to suit your own style.
Improved Flex mode design in Pro mode
- To make shooting the way you want, manual setting options such as ISO and shutter speed appear throughout the bottom of the screen when your phone is closed in Pro and Pro Video modes.
Select multiple photos at the same time in the capture view
- When using the capture view on the home screen, you can select multiple photos by holding them down for a long time. Easily select multiple photos and share or delete them all at once.
More cost-effective remaster preview
- Thumbnails are displayed below the image that is remastered, and by clicking on the thumbnail, you can compare the remastered version and the original side by side on a larger screen.
Apply effects with ease
- The sliders have been replaced with dials, which allow you to precisely adjust the filters and tonal effects with one hand in the gallery.
Copy and paste the effects
- You can copy the tones and filters applied to your favorite photos and paste them into other photos.
Drag and drop with both hands
- Tap and drag and drop files, photos, and other items with one hand and select a location or folder with the other.
- The feature is available in My Files and on the Home screen.
Use your phone while charging other devices with wireless battery sharing
- If you open the phone with the main screen facing down, you can charge your Galaxy Buds, Galaxy Watch, and other wireless battery-sharing devices on the other screen while you continue to use the phone on the cover screen.
Efficient archiving management
- When the remaining built-in storage is less than 5GB or 10%, My Files displays the app cache information. Easily free up space without having to delete apps or files.
Improvements to the memory management feature of Device Care
- Provides more detailed information about apps that use your phone’s memory and allows you to easily put apps that use too much memory into hibernation.
- Change the mode directly from the lock screen to the desired mode, such as sleep mode or driving mode.
Customize the layout of your Samsung Internet screen to your taste
- If you move the address bar to the bottom of the screen, the tab bar and bookmarks bar are also displayed at the bottom of the screen.
As you can see, this is a host of new features and enhancements, many of which are specifically aimed at the features of the devices they relate to, folding displays (with and without S Pen) and tablets.
Compatible models for One UI 5.1.1 beta program
As previously mentioned, the current availability of the One UI 5.1.1 beta appears to be limited to the Korean market, specifically for the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 and Galaxy Tab S8 series tablets. It remains uncertain whether Samsung plans to extend the testing of the new interface version to other markets in the near future. Additionally, it is unclear which devices will be included in the expanded beta testing.
Although the company has not disclosed specific information on this matter, the following devices are expected to potentially receive the One UI 5.1.1 beta:
- Galaxy Z Fold4 (already received)
- Galaxy Z Flip4
- Galaxy Z Fold3
- Galaxy Z Flip3
- Galaxy Tab S8 (already received)
- Galaxy Tab S7
Let’s be clear that the list of devices above is not officially sourced from, but is simply the result of assumptions, we will probably have to wait a few more days before receiving some information from Samsung.
However, users who currently own one of the eligible devices in South Korea can apply to participate in the beta program through the Members app.
Don’t miss our latest news on Samsung technology. Follow SamLover.com on your favorite social media platforms for instant notifications.